NSF press conference on
first result from Event Horizon Telescope project
Global network of telescopes has been working to capture first-ever image of a black hole
April 1, 2019
The Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) project and the National Science Foundation (NSF) will hold a press conference to announce a groundbreaking result.
What: Press conference on
Who: NSF Director France Córdova will deliver remarks. A panel of EHT researchers will also deliver remarks and answer questions:
- Sheperd Doeleman, EHT Director, Harvard University Senior Research Fellow, Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian
- Daniel Marrone, University of Arizona, Department of Astronomy, Steward Observatory
- Avery Broderick, University of Waterloo, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
- Sera Markoff, University of Amsterdam, Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy, Gravitation and AstroParticle Physics Amsterdam
When: Wednesday, April 10, 2019, 9 a.m. EDT
Where: The National Press Club, 529 14th St N.W., Washington, D.C., 20045. The event will also be streamed
RSVP: Credentialed press can register to attend the event in person by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. To attend, media must register by 6:00 p.m. EDT on Monday, April 8. Details about submitting questions or scheduling interviews will be sent to journalists following registration.
Immediately following the press conference, panelists and other experts from the EHT collaboration will be available for interviews.
NSF will issue a press release the morning of the press conference. Translations of the press release will be available in multiple languages, along with extensive supporting audiovisual material.
In addition to the press briefing in the U.S, press conferences will be held simultaneously in Brussels, Santiago, Shanghai, Taipei
- The European Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation, Carlos Moedas, will speak in Brussels.
- President of the Academia Sinica, James Liao, will speak in Taipei.
- Director of the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array, Sean Dougherty, and European Southern Observatory Director General Xavier Barcons will speak in Santiago.
If you wish to embed the press conference in your online feed, you may do so from either the NSF Black Holes Special Report or the NSF direct
For further information about EHT, please check the Event Horizon Telescope webpage.
Joshua Chamot, NSF, 703-292-4489, email:email@example.com